Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thank You Coach B

Note: I sent this letter to Coach B due to the various rumors that he may be moving onto another school due to his visits to Ball State and Wright State this week.

Dear Coach Brownell,

Before I begin I would like to congratulate you on the tremendous season that you guided our team to this year. I felt priviledged to watch this team play from the very first exhibition team. Every player on this team tried harder to make the team win than any other group I have ever seen on any team. The only complaint I have about this season was the lack of out of conference home games, but that's another issue. I have never seen a team that was easier to cheer for and that relates directly to the coaching staff. The players on the court define the individual game but without a top notch coaching staff a team could not have the type of season that they had this year. I hope you will pass this letter on to Coach Jones as well. I want him to know how much we appreciated having him at this school. And I and the rest of the students wish him the best of luck in Kansas City.

The last couple of days there has been numerous stories about you interviewing at Ball State University and Wright State University. I understand that you have to do what is best for you and your family and I applaud the fact that the success you have had here is making numerous oppurtunities open up for you. That makes me and everyone here happy to know that your work is being appreciated all over the country. However I hope that you would like to stay here in Wilmington and help us continue to build a successful basketball program that you have helped push into its prime.

You know better than I, as a UNCW student from the Triangle Area, how beautiful and great of a community Wilmington is. And you of course know how great of an institution UNCW is. You have been the face of this schol in the national media as this school and the CAA has burst onto the national scene. As you have stated many times before the rest of the country is just figuring out what we already knew. That UNCW has a great basketball program that plays in a great conference. And if I can find some solace in the First Round loss to George Washington it is that George Mason is in the Final Four. I know that I would just be preaching to the choir if I pointed out that we have a better team than they do. This run to the Final Four is of course great news for George Mason but it is also great news for UNCW as well as the rest of the CAA. Their tournament success is going to have far reaching implications in terms of national exposure, recruiting, and of course how much money we receive which is the biggest handicap for a mid major school and a mid major conference.

I can only hope that you will be around in the future to see exactly how far this program can go and I would like nothing more than to have you be the face of this program in the future. Becuase you have helped bring this program into the limelight and you deserve credit for it in the future. You have helped the conference and the rest of the country see what great, hard working, and classy basketball we play here at UNCW.

I can only hope that everything is being done by the administration to help you understand how important you are to this school. And I know for a fact that the students here appreciate just as much as the students that you coach. No matter what your decision is or how the chips fall in the future, I would just like to thank you for helping me increase my love of basketball and giving the students so much to cheer for. Even when the team has not been successful they have been easy to cheer for because of how well coached they are and how they play. This of course must be heavily influenced by you and your work ethic. I can assure you that if you did leave my biggest heart break in my basketball consciousness would be that. I know most fans would be just as heartbroken as you and the rest of the UNCW community were when Drew Nicholas' shot dropped and when Beckham Wyrick's shot did not.

But once again I would like to thank on behalf of the UNCW students for everything you have done for this school so far. And hopefully you will be here to share our future success with us. (We need to show George Mason and the rest of the country next year just who is the best team in this conference.)

Sincerly,
Terry Hobgood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home